From Tar Valon Library
- Bertain Gallenne is the Lord Captain of the Mayener Winged Guards (ACoS, Ch. 18). He is grey-haired and wears his black eyepatch as another man might a plume in his hat (ACoS, Ch. 27). He is quite competitive with Arganda and neither wants the other to physically outdo him (CoT, Ch. 8). Gallenne is a suspicious man; he tends to always see the worst possibility first (TPoD, Ch. 7) and suspected a trap when Perrin met with the Seanchan (KoD, Ch. 4).
- He fiddles with his reins when deep in thought (TPoD, Ch. 7).
- He rides a tall black gelding (CoT, Ch. 7).
- He is with Berelain in Cairhien (ACoS, Ch. 18).
- He accompanies Berelain when she goes with Perrin to Ghealdan (ACoS, Ch. 27).
- He goes with Annoura and Berelain when they go to meet Alliandre (TPoD, Ch. 7).
- He returns from Bethal with Berelain, Annoura, and Alliandre (TPoD, Ch. 10).
- He accompanies Perrin and Berelain to check out the Darkhound tracks. They make him nervous but he jokes that salting their ears is a good idea (CoT, Ch. 7).
- He goes with Perrin and Berelain to meet Masema (CoT, Ch. 7).
- He councils against offering to pay the Shaido a ransom as he reasons that the nobles they did take gai'shain will have made similar offers (CoT, Ch. 8).
- He goes with Perrin to So Habor (CoT, Ch. 26).
- He attends the meeting with the Seanchan (KoD, Ch. 4).
- Perrin places Tam as his second, over Gallenne, which displeases Gallene (KoD, Ch. 29).
- Although not mentioned, he remains with Perrin and presumably takes part in the attack on Malden (KoD, Ch. 29).
- He wants Perrin to charge the remaining Shaido to disperse them (TGS, Ch. 9).
- Perrin asks him and Arganda where they would set up an ambush (ToM, Ch. 40).
- Perrin puts him on the left flank when they attack the Trollocs (ToM, Ch. 40).
- He is killed in battle in Cairhien (AMoL, Ch. 30)
"Watch Gallenne; he could be trouble... all Gallenne knows is attack. He's good at it, but he never sees anything else, and sometimes he doesn't stop to think.” (Elyas, The Path of Daggers, Chapter 10)