Author: Val a'Shain
Melindhra is a Shaido Aiel of the Jumai sept and a Maiden of the Spear. She joined her society when Couladin left with the Shaido. She is about ten years older than Mat. She is tall even for an Aiel, maybe a bit taller than Mat (TFoH, Ch. 3). Melindhra has golden hair, cut short except for a tail at the nape of her neck (TFoH, Ch. 22).
Melindhra is a Darkfriend. She is used by the Forsaken to get close to Mat and in the end she gets the order to kill him. Although she values her oath to the Shadow over Mat's life she seems to feel genuine affection for him.
- Melindhra meets Mat in Rhuidean in 999 NE. Mat gives her a gift out of his winnings of that night. Melindhra considers it to be a regard gift. Mat and Melindhra become lovers that night (TFoH, Ch. 3).
- Melindhra talks to Mat about stepping out of Rand's shadow. A few moments later Trollocs attack the camp. Melindhra takes part in the fighting (TFoH, Ch. 22).
- Melindhra takes part the battle for Cairhien. Mat tries to leave Rand and his army but is pulled back in (TFoH, Ch. 42-Ch. 45).
- Melindhra finds Mat after the battle for Cairhien. Mat thinks he is in trouble and tries to explain. She cuts him off and tells him she is proud of him stepping out of Rand's shadow and seeking his own glory (TFoH, Ch. 45).
- Melindhra and Mat move into the Sun Palace. Mat announces he's going on a mission for Rand. For reasons Mat doesn't get Melindhra tries to kill him. Mat kills her defending himself. She used an Illianer knife casting suspicion on Sammael (TFoH, Ch. 51).
Melindhra and Mat are lovers.
- The Maidens are laying bets on Melindhra giving up the Spear for Mat (TFoH, Ch. 21).
- Melindhra thinks Mat is a short man, which by Aiel standards he may be (TFoH, Ch. 22).
Did Sammael give the order to kill Mat?
"He will concentrate on you," the big man said in a deep voice. "If need be, one close to him will die, plainly at your order. He will come for you. And while he is fixed on you alone, the three of us, linked, will take him. What has changed to alter any of that?" [Rahvin to Sammael; TFoH, Ch. 34)
It looks like Melindhra is being used in the Forsaken plot to keep Rand's attention focussed on Sammael. She uses an Illianer dagger to make it seem like Sammael ordered it. It could have been any of these four though.
"You attracted my interest, Mat Cauthon, before you gave me a regard-gift. Not that I will give up the spear for you, of course, but I have had my eye on you for days. You have a smile like a boy about to do mischief. I like that. And those eyes." In the failing light her grin was slow and wide. And warm. "I do like your eyes." (Melindhra to Mat; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 3)
"Of course, there is honor of a sort in being in the shadow of the Car'a'carn. To be near the mighty, you must stand in their shade." (Melindhra to Mat abour glory; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 3)
'I always liked your pretty eyes,' she breathed, so faint he had to strain to hear.
'Some oaths are more important than others, Mat Cauthon.'
(A dying Melindhra and to Mat; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 51)