Zaida din Parede Blackwing
A similar entry appears in the Wheel of Time Companion. Other information about the character is also included in the Companion, but we did not use it in the TarValon.Net Library.
Zaida din Parede Blackwing was the Sea Folk Wavemistress to Clan Catelar (LoC, Ch. 28). She is initially sent to Caemlyn as ambassador to Rand and remains there after he is taken by the Tower Aes Sedai. She is still in Caemlyn when Elayne arrives and insists on Aes Sedai teaching the Windfinders as the bargain Elayne made for their help using the Bowl of the Winds. When they learn of Nesta's death, she arranges a second bargain with Elayne, for a square mile of Andor in return for leaving some Windfinders with Elayne to make gateways for her. This bargain is well received by the other Wavemistresses and she is raised to the position of Mistress of the Ships (KoD, Ch. 22). She is not tall, nearly a hand shorter than Renaile and darker than charcoal. Her dark hair is flecked with grey, but this enhances, rather than detracts from her beauty and has an air of command about her (LoC, Prologue; CoT, Ch. 12).
- Zaida departs the White Spray at Aringill, with her Windfinder, her Swordmaster and an entourage. The ship then heads for Cairhien (LoC, Ch. 5).
- Zaida arrives in Caemlyn and takes rooms at the Ball and Hoop (LoC, Ch. 26).
- She sends a petition to Rand asking for an audience. He agrees to see her that afternoon (LoC, Ch. 26).
- She turns up for the audience and is not pleased when Rand is not there (LoC, Ch. 28).
- She sends Rand a letter, requesting an audience, but never gets one (LoC, Ch. 28).
- She goes to see Elayne, to demand the twenty teachers the bargain promised. Elayne encourages her to go to Tear, but Zaida insists she must stay until she speaks with Rand (LoC, Prologue).
- Before Elayne realises it, she comes to an agreement with Zaida that others apart from Merilille will be able to teach. They are interrupted by Nadere before they can agree terms (WH, Prologue).
- She supervises when Nynaeve teaches shielding and tells Talaan to turn Nynaeve upside down if she doesn't break free (WH, Ch. 11).
- She goes to see Elayne when she learns of Nesta's death, demanding Aes Sedai as payment of the bargain, but is forced to accept that the bargain stated the Amyrlin would choose the teachers (CoT, Ch. 12).
- She and Elayne agree to give the Atha'an Miere one square mile of good land on the river Erinin, under their laws in exchange for leaving nine Windfinders when she leaves, under the command of Chanelle (CoT, Ch. 12).
- After the agreement, Zaida leaves with almost unseemly haste to return to Blue Gull and the first twelve (CoT, Ch. 13).
- Her bargain with Elayne is well thought of and she is named Mistress of the Ships (KoD, Ch. 22).
- She talks with Logain and tells him she wants to send an ambassador to Rand (KoD, Ch. 22).
- When she learns of the death of the Amayar, she wishes to try and save some, but Logain insists she fulfill the Bargain (KoD, Ch. 12).
- She is with the Windfinders when they use the Bowl of Winds in the Valley of Thakan'dar (AMoL, Ch. 24).
"The Light willing, you will perhaps return to Caemlyn eventually. As I have traveled far to see you perhaps I will find some time for it when you do" (Letter to Rand, Lord of Chaos, Chapter 28).
“You have never invited me to bathe with you, though it would have been courteous, but we will not speak of that” (to Elayne, Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 12).
“Are you mad as well as heartless? We must mourn. We must save those who we can, and mourn for the countless thousands we cannot save” (To Logain, Knife of Dreams, Chapter 22).