Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Branlet is the young High Seat of the Andoran House Gilyard, though still not past his guardianship. He has unruly black curls and blue eyes that are too big for his face. His voice is still in the process of deepening (CoT, Ch. 13). He is a year older than Perival, which puts him at 13 (KoD, Ch. 17).
- Branlet arrives in Caemlyn with Dyelin and speaks with Elayne (CoT, Ch. 13).
- When Dyelin returns from trying to convince Luan and the others to support Elayne for the throne, Elayne and Birgitte meet with her in the Map Room. Branlet, Catalyn, Conail, and Perival show up as well (KoD, Ch. 17).
- When Birgitte learns that the Far Madding Gate is under attack while she is arranging Elayne's rescue from the Black Ajah, she tells Dyelin to defend it. Dyelin tells Branlet, Catalyn, Conail, and Perival to come with her, as their foot soldiers, who are being sent with Dyelin, will fight better with them there. As they leave, Conail says something to make Branlet and Perival chuckle (KoD, Ch. 32).
- During the battle against Arymilla, Elayne sees Branlet, Conail, and Perival ride through the Far Madding gate, swords in hand, to urge on their men. They are far enough away to avoid harm, but Elayne still thinks they shouldn't be there. After Elayne has spoken to a beaten Arymilla and her followers, she rides towards Dyelin, who is riding out of a side street followed by Branlet and the other three (KoD, Ch. 33).
- When Elayne arrives at the Grand Hall for her meeting with Abelle, Aemlyn, Arathelle, Ellorien, Luan, and Pelivar, all of her supporters are already there. Dyelin is watching Sylvase converse with Conail and Catalyn while Branlet and Perival listen closely (KoD, Ch. 35).
- After gaining their support, Elayne invites Abelle, Aemlyn, Arathelle, Luan, and Pelivar to dine with her in her apartments. It is likely that the rest of her support, Branlet included, accompany her as well (KoD, Ch. 35).
Mayv was Branlet's guardian until her death three months before Branlet's arrival in Caemlyn. He no longer has a guardian; the rest of his relatives have spent the entire three months arguing over who should take Mayv's place (CoT, Ch. 13).
Branlet has numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. Elayne wonders how many of them know that Branlet is gone, and what they will do when they learn (CoT, Ch. 13).
Conail treats Branlet and Perival almost like younger brothers, and they are embarrassed when he ruffles their hair (KoD, Ch. 17).
Arymilla considers Branlet to be a child who can be swayed to her cause. She thinks to herself that she will use torture on Branlet, Catalyn, Conail, and Perival, if she must (KoD, Ch. 17).
Ellorien comments snidely that Elayne has gathered most of her support from among the children and Arymilla's leavings. When she says this, Branlet straightens angrily until Perival puts a hand on his arm and shakes his head (KoD, Ch. 35).
- Elayne catches Branlet watching Birgitte walk in her high-heeled boots (CoT, Ch. 13).
- Elayne is afraid that House Gilyard will accuse her of kidnapping Branlet, since he is there without his family knowing. Dyelin tells her not to worry (CoT, Ch. 13).
- Dyelin excluded, Conail, Catalyn, Branlet, and Perival are Elayne's most important allies (KoD, Ch. 17).
- Whenever the Andoran nobles meet, everyone except for Elayne, Birgitte, Branlet, and Perival drink wine. The other four drink goat's milk, Elayne and Birgitte because of Elayne's pregnancy and Branlet and Perival because of their ages (KoD, Ch. 17; Ch. 35).
"It is my pleasure to say that House Gilyard stands for Trakand, Lady Elayne." (Branlet to Elayne; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13)
"They've been arguing for three months," Branlet muttered. For a moment he looked younger than Perival, a boy trying to find his way with no one to show him the path. "I'm not supposed to tell anyone that, but I can tell you. You're going to be the Queen." (Branlet to Elayne; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13)
"You don't know the Gilyards well, do you? The way they squabble among themselves, they may not notice the boy is gone before summer, and if they do, none will repudiate what he's done. None of them will admit they were so busy in arguing over who's to be his guardian that they forgot to keep an eye on him. And second, none of them will admit they weren't consulted beforehand." (Dyelin to Elayne about Branlet; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 13)
[Dyelin] cleared her throat loudly as Branlet reached for the wine pitcher. His cheeks reddened, and he picked up the other pitcher as if he had really meant to all along. The High Seat of House Gilyard, yet still a boy for all of the sword on his hip. (Elayne; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 17)
"But what are they thinking?" Branlet demanded. "Are they trying to start a war with three sides?" His voice went from treble to bass halfway through that, and his face flooded with red. He buried his face in his goblet, but grimaced. Apparently he liked goat's milk as little as she did. (Branlet and Elayne; Knife of Dreams, Chapter 17)