Setalle Anan is the innkeeper of The Wandering Woman inn in Ebou Dar. She has graying hair, hazel eyes, and runs her inn with a firm hand. Her husband, Jasfer Anan is a fisherman. They have three daughters and a son.
Setalle wasn't born in Ebou Dar. She was formerly known as Martine Janata, an Aes Sedai specializing in the study of ter'angreals. But she was accidentally burned out during her studies and left the White Tower (TPoD, Ch. 2).
- Mat randomly chooses the Wandering Woman to accommodate him and his men, and is welcomed by Setalle (LoC, Ch. 47)
- Setalle thinks Elayne and Nynaeve are runaways and not Aes Sedai, and brings them to the Kin (ACoS, Ch. 23).
- Mat visits her and she asks after the Kin (WH, Ch. 18).
- Egeanin arrives at the Wandering Woman, with orders from Suroth that she is to have rooms. Setalle says she is already renting to Abaldar Yulan and Furyk Karede and will not throw wither out, so the Seanchan must sort it for themselves (WH, Ch. 19).
- Setalle begins to negotiate the sale of the Wandering Woman days after the Seancahn arrive and she can see what they do to women who can channel (WH, Ch. 29)
- Setalle tries being the leash holder for Joline, as she has hopes she may be able to, but it does not work (WH, Ch. 29)
- Setalle accompanies Mat and the others when they leave Ebou Dar and hide in Valan Luca's Circus (CoT, Ch. 1).
- Mat has her guard Tuon and thinks she will be able to handle Tuon easily (CoT, Ch. 3).
- Setalle warns Selucia that Mat is a rogue with women (CoT, Ch. 28).
- When Mat's medallion stops flows from Joline and the others, she mentions that Cadsuane was rumored to have a ter'angreal that stops channeling and that she would like to see Mat's (KoD, Ch. 7).
- When he sees her interest in his ter'angreal, Mat realizes she was previously an Aes Sedai. She tells him that if Joline or Teslyn take the medallion, they would be punished but that he probably wouldn't get it back (KoD, Ch. 9).
- She tells Mat that half the reason she came with him was to try and stop him making too many missteps with the Aes Sedai (KoD, Ch. 9)
- Setalle influences Tuon enough that Tuon has accepted the need for the Seanchan to adapt to some of the Westland ways, and not just make the Westlanders take on Seanchan ways (TGS, Ch. 19).
- When Joline is asking for horses so she can leave Mat, she assumes that Setalle will be going with her (TGS, Ch. 20)
- When the Aes Sedai leave Mat's army to return to Tar Valon, Setalle stay with Mat. She says someone needs to watch over Mat. Mat has her watch Olver while he and Thom go looking for Moiraine. He tells her he will give her money for an inn. He after he gets back, when he has someone to make Gateways, he will have someone make her a gateway to Illian to find her husband.(ToM, Ch. 17).
- She and Mat talk about boots and nobles. She agrees to look after Olver if he does not return (ToM, Ch. 52).
- She is suspicious when they end up in the Blight as she thinks an Aes Sedai's training should be enough for them not to be distracted, even in a Bubble of Evil, though she also accepts it couldn't be a deliberate trap (AMoL, Ch. 34).
- She suggests they go to Shayol Ghul as that is their best chance of finding a Gateway back to the Field of Merrilor (AMoL, Ch. 34).
- She survives the Last Battle (Twitter).
She regrets asking to see Mat's ter'angreal (ToM, Ch. 17).
"I trust Jasfer to sail into the teeth of a cemaros, if need be. I trust him as much as you do your Warders, Green. More." (To Joline, Winter's Heart, Chapter 29)
"The sisters would see it if they could let themselves, she said, as simply as if she were discussing the chances of rain, but Aes Sedai expect that when . . . certain things . . . happen, the woman will go away decently and die soon after. I went away, but Jasfer found me half starved and sick on the streets of Ebou Dar and took me to his mother. He used to take in stray kittens, too. Now, you know some of my secrets, and I know some of yours. Shall we keep them to ourselves?" (To Mat, about having been burned out, (Knife of Dreams, Chapter 6)